Thursday, April 7, 2011

I am now a published Author!

When I was ten years old I was removed from my childhood home and placed in the care of my aunt and uncle. After sometime and a lot of begging I was allowed visitation with my father. Our first meeting, after nearly a year apart, was at a dingy fast-food restaurant with a social worker one table away. After a few minutes of idle chat the social worker went up front to get another cup of coffee and my father leaned in close and said, barely above a whisper, "Are you ok?"
I leaned in also and whispered back, "Yeah, I am all right."
He nodded and leaned back in his chair. "You are never afraid." he said matter-of-factly "Even when you were little and to pass swimming you had to jump off the high-dive. All the other kids were all upset, but not you. You just walked up the ladder, strolled to the end of the board, plunged your nose and jumped."
            What I didn't tell my dad at the time was that I was really terrified, but he was sitting in the audience so I didn't want to let him down. 

I retold this story to explain that I decided to overcome my fear of being published. First, I selected a short story I wrote for my dad right after his death. Next I went to the IRS website and got a free EIN (Employee Identification Number) in the name Sally A Wolf. Next I signed up for a standard Amazon account. Then I went to the kindle publishing section, uploaded my work, added a snazzy pic, and Tada! easy as that I am a published author. The best part is that I did it all for free, plus my husband is not upset with me for it, he has even offered to make my covers for me.
            The most fun thing I did was as soon as my story was live, I search for myself on goodreads.com/ librarything.com and there I was! So I asked to be upgraded to an author account. Even if I never sell one copy at least I did what I set out to do.
See it live here The Chase By Sally a Wolf

So what is my next step? Well that would be getting a drivers license.