Friday, March 25, 2011

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Writing.

     Life, as any writer will tell you balancing life and writing is a high wire act that is a difficult art to master. My life consists, of being a mother of four children whom I home school. On top of that I work from home packing the media items that my husband sells. We live in a five bedroom house with one acre of land. To top it all off I must not forget the six dogs, two cats, and several fish all who need maintenance. . This all takes a considerable amount of time it is a wonder that I get to write at all but I do my best to write whenever I can fit it in. I have eight children stories, one bio, and seven others that I am not sure what genre they fit in.
      Which brings us to liberty. My greatest weakness as a writer if you have not guessed by now is, punctuation, grammar and spelling. I wish that I had the freedom to write what ever comes into my head without having to worry about spelling, punctuation, and other such things that could make or break me as an author like word count. I am extreemly confused by word count and what the rules are regarding the size of the story. Here is what I know about the average word counts for the different types.
Adult
  • Flash Fiction 100 - 1,000 words,
  • Short Story 1,000 - 7,500 words,
  • Novellette 7,500 - 20,000 words,
  • Novella 20,000 - 55,000 words,
  • Novel 55,000 -110,000.
Children
  • Baby Books -- (under 300 words) Books are short (12 pages is average)
  • Picture books -- Traditionally, picture books (also called "picture story books") are 32-page books Manuscripts are up to 1500 words, with 1000 words being the average length.
  • Early picture books -- contain under 1000 words.
  • Easy readers -- Also called "easy-to-read", 32-64 pages long, with 200-1500 words of text, occasionally going up to 2000 words.
  • Transition books -- Sometimes called "early chapter books" For ages 6-9 Written like easy readers in style, transition books are longer (manuscripts are about 30 pages long, broken into 2-3 page chapters), For ages 7-10, these books are 45-60 manuscript pages long, broken into 3-4 page chapters.(2-4 sentences is average).
  • Middle grade -- 8-12. (100-150 pages),
  • Young adult -- For ages 12 and up, these manuscripts are 130 to about 200 pages long.

Finally there is the pursuit of writing. Now I know some what about the numbers what do I do with them? I don't even know what genre my stories fit.

Here are a list of my stories and what their word counts are

David and The Magic Cat: words 14,672 pages 30
Clean it up (unfinished): Words 5,270 pages 7
Let's Talk to the animals: Words 513 pages 1
Let's See the New Baby: Words 373 Pages 1
Lets Go to the city: Words 315 Pages 1
Let's Find Opposites 1,042 pages 2

For Adults
To Sleep with out a Dream Words 1,166 pages 2
My childhood story Words 3,685 pages 4
The Chase words 2,076 pages 5
Eye of the Storm: (Unfinished) words 4,314 pages 4
The Closet: Words 1,225 pages 3
Take me out to the ball game. Words 1,022 pages 2

     This is what I have written to date. I am not sure what to do with them all other than share them with my friends and family. I have not found anyone who would be willing to read and correct my stuff so I cannot submit it to a publisher or publish it myself on a portable reader device. In order for me to be published I need to be able to have the fallowing, someone correct my work, a place to publish for free to start, and the ability to publish under my alias Sally A Wolf. I would eventually love to get paid for what I write as every writer does but I am currently stuck in a rut of just filling up my own webpage.
If you have any ideas please feel free to leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to write. When I was young I used to write stories, when I wasn't reading! I just don't think I have it in me anymore.
    I read a lot. I think I make a better reader than writer. Honestly though, what I would really love to do is become an editor or proof reader. Mainly because I am the reader that notices all the spelling and grammatical errors. I get a bit annoyed if there are many in a book that has been published as I wonder why the editor never noticed it. I can understand the author making errors and not noticing it. I always thought that proof reading someone else's writing is always easier than proofreading your own.
    I have a friend that writes short stories and I proofread for her whenever she needs it - she gets her work proofread and I get a story to read....lol! Anyway, not sure if it would help at all, but if you think it might, I would be willing to proofread for you.

    I forgot to leave a way for you to contact me, so I deleted my first comment!

    lovemykidsandbooks AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete